At Great American Treasures, our mission is to keep history alive by bringing it to a new generation of history lovers. Seeing historic sites keeps history relevant and creates a fun adventure along the way. Luckily, there are hundreds of historical destinations to see in America, with more than 60 of them preserved and cared for by Great American Treasures.
Since our sites are scattered all over the country, a road trip can ensure that you see a few or more of these historic sites along your route. Looking out the window, exploring a new state, and seeing pieces of history is made easy with our tool: Create An Adventure.
Create An Adventure
The Create An Adventure interface is an interactive tool that makes it easy to find what you’re looking for as you plan your next road trip. It allows you to tailor your trip to the sites you’re most interested in seeing.
The tool is broken down into three categories that allow you to find what interests you. You can select a collection and then specify any needs or interests to make sure your trip will be exactly the adventure you were hoping for!
Find What Interests You
As you begin to plan your trip, first start with thinking about what type of history you’re most interested in. There are five categories that the Create An Adventure Tool uses to help you tailor your trip towards your interests.
- Colonial Continent focuses not only on the settlement of America but how the territories shifted along with the arrival of enslaved peoples and the displacement of Native Americans. These places tell a story of transition and the push and pull of creating a new nation.
- Homes for a New Nation showcases homes that are reflective of a new chapter in American history. There are numerous homes and places to see that help bring this chapter of rebirth to life, whether it’s a beautiful estate or remnants of a city jail buried underground. This is a great category to choose if you enjoy learning about pre-Civil war America in the late 18th and early 19th centuries.
- Greek Revival Everywhere is for all of you architecture lovers out there! This group of elegant structures and buildings features white columns, highly decorated cornices, and symmetrical shape, among many other defining features. Many Great American Treasures feature this iconic architectural style because early American citizens – Thomas Jefferson among them – wanted the United States to emulate the democratic ideals of Ancient Greece and Rome.
- West Across the Continent explores America’s growth across the country into the western “frontier,” a space that was home to Native American tribes but that colonists claimed through force in the name of Manifest Destiny. These properties and homes tell the story of another moment of transition in American history as white settlers on the frontier expanded West to the Pacific Ocean.
- History on the Spot helps you find history along the way. These locations don’t take long to visit, but if you’re traveling near one of these spots, it’s worth a quick detour. Though these sites might be quick to visit, it doesn’t mean they are small in their impact.
Customize Your Experience
Historical places are numerous, so with this tool, you can easily plan your trip and tailor it to exactly what you’re interested in. Once you’ve decided on a collection, you can narrow your search even further to a certain type of site depending on what interests you most. This filter is especially useful if you have a specific type of site you’re seeking (whether on a farm or in a townhouse).
The last section on the Create an Adventure tool breaks down any specialty you may be interested in finding. This can range from seeing if there is free parking or guided tours to focusing your trip on a specific era or topic in history.
We’re Here for Your Next Adventure
When planning a trip, it is important to make the most out of it, especially if you’ve traveled a long way. At Great American Treasures, we are committed to keeping history alive and ensuring that your trip is educational, easy, and most of all, fun! Great American Treasures is dedicated to preserving history and making historical trips accessible and intriguing. As you plan your road trip, use the Create An Adventure tool to make historical stops along the way, fueling your experience with stories from the past.